Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    AP Technologies Acquires Blueacre Technology, Adding Nitinol and Precision Laser Processing to Its Catheter Platform

    May 19, 2026

    Porsche reveals bespoke 911 GT3 RS in Macadamiametallic

    May 18, 2026

    Climate warming drives oxygen decline in rivers

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Angola News FlashAngola News Flash
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Luxury
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Angola News FlashAngola News Flash
    Home » Deaths due to COVID-19 caused by new Omicron strain worry WHO chief
    Health

    Deaths due to COVID-19 caused by new Omicron strain worry WHO chief

    July 13, 2022
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email

    As a new wave of infections spreads across Europe and the US, the World Health Organization (WHO) has urged governments and health care institutions to take immediate steps to stop the spread of COVID-19. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of the WHO, said at a press conference in Geneva that sub-variants of the Omicron strain were increasing the number of cases and the number of deaths. It was Tedros’ suggestion that standards such as mask usage be revived so as to prevent the spread of the disease.

    Deaths due to COVID-19 caused by new Omicron strain worry WHO chiefAlthough there has been an increase in cases, the WHO is concerned that surveillance of the virus and any new varieties is waning. WHO officials reiterated that COVID-19 is still a public health emergency of global concern, as the WHO classifies pandemics. New cases of BA.4 and BA.5 Omicron sub-variants are occurring in Europe when people start traveling again after two years of staying put after attending huge meetings.

    According to the Office for National Statistics, one in every 25 English people tested positive in the last week of June. Even if a person has already had COVID-19, they are still susceptible to infection; however, immunization helps protect against serious illnesses. “New waves of the virus demonstrate that COVID-19 is nowhere near over,” Tedros said, adding that he is “concerned about a rising death toll.”

    According to the WHO, there has been no evidence to date that BA.5 is more severe than prior Omicron variants, or that vaccines and approved treatments are ineffective, although many governments remain concerned about the BA.5 sub-lineage, particularly as it relates to re-infections.

    Despite a decline in surveillance, including testing and sequencing to detect and identify variants, Maria Van Kerkhove, WHO’s Technical Lead Officer for COVID-19, said the virus is still spreading globally at an accelerated pace. All vulnerable individuals and those in their immediate circle were already advised to get a second booster dose of the vaccine by the WHO’s regional director for Europe.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    Health May 16, 2026

    Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak expands health response in DRC

    Health May 12, 2026

    Measles outbreak in Bangladesh leaves toll at 415

    Health May 4, 2026

    Hantavirus probe deepens after deaths on Atlantic cruise

    Health April 3, 2026

    DR Congo lifts national mpox emergency after two years

    Health March 13, 2026

    UNICEF and partners launch $300m child nutrition drive

    Health February 4, 2026

    WHO IARC maps preventable cancer risks across 185 countries

    Breaking News

    Porsche reveals bespoke 911 GT3 RS in Macadamiametallic

    May 18, 2026

    Climate warming drives oxygen decline in rivers

    May 18, 2026

    Dubai Green Corridor keeps cargo moving during disruptions

    May 18, 2026

    UAE mediation delivers 410 Russia Ukraine swap

    May 16, 2026

    Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak expands health response in DRC

    May 16, 2026

    UAE hosts PM Modi for official talks on energy and trade

    May 15, 2026

    Air Arabia Q1 profit slips as regional disruption bites

    May 15, 2026

    Trump and Xi end Beijing summit with cautious progress

    May 15, 2026

    India unveils sovereign-backed maritime insurance pool

    May 14, 2026
    © 2026 Angola News Flash | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.